CASE STUDY: 3 PERFORMANCE OF AHU
Technical Details of AHU
- Double skinned type AHU with PUF (25 mm thick) are provided with EFF1 level motors.
- Blower with paddle blade impeller are provided.
- The belts are V-Belt.
- Chilled water coil of copper tube with finned aluminum fins provided.
- Chiller coils with 6 rows with 12 fins per inch spacing provided.
- The fan is so designed with outlet velocity restriction upto maximum 10 m/sec. 50mm thick air filter with 3 ply HDPE with 2 layers of aluminum provided.
- The ducts are of galvanized sheet with suitable insulation and support.
- There are 12 nos of Air handling unit in the premises.
- Motors are operated through Star-Delta and DOL starter.
- There is no controlling of chilling water or other sensor to control AHU.
SCHEMATIC DRAWING OF AHU
PERFORMANCE OF AHU
TECHNICAL EVALUATION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- From Above Table, 5 out 9 AHU Specific energy consumption kW/TR is higher than design.
- RPM of fan also has been derived through formula as it connected through V-Belt.
- Through static pressure it can conclude there is no obstacles in return air path, G-5 & G-6 considerably on higher side.
- Replacement of V-Belt with Flat-Belt as per below mentioned cons and pros
Disadvantage of V-Belt:
There is a power transmission loss of about 5-7%, when V-Belts “WEDGE IN” and “WEDGE OUT” of the grooved pulley.
Advantage of running in Flat Belt:
- Prevents elongation due to moisture absorption.
- Ensure Better Grip of Pulley.
- Energy Saving of at least 5-7%.
Energy Saving Recommendation:
Conversion of V-Belt to Flat belt in all AHU’s between Motor and Fan.
Result of the outcome:
Energy saving of at least by 5-7%
Proposed Electricity Saving
Total Consumption in AHU = 63.05 KW
Energy Saving @ 7% = 4.413 KW
Energy saving per annum = 4.413 X 10 X 240 ( 10 hours ,240 days of working)
= 10592.4 kWh
Monetary Saving = Rs 1.18,105.2/-
Investment = 50,000/-
Payback = 5 Months
Annual GHG Mitigation 8.78 ton of CO2
Please go ahead and get your electrical, thermal devices audited now to save on money.
Subscribe our blog and stay updated.