Buildings are the place where people spend countless hours living, work, play, and shop thus maintaining a hygienic environment is very crucial in terms of occupant comfort, productivity, and health. The air quality inside these buildings has changed over the years. People in the post-coronavirus world are not just worried about the dirt they see but also the invisible germs that spread contagious diseases and common illnesses. According to ASHRAE, air-borne diseases such as influenza, TB, and the common cold can be transmitted through a building’s HVAC. The system that circulates the air inside the building can be the source of transmission of various contagious diseases
UVGI (ultraviolet germicidal irradiation) technology is now emerging in its application for the HVAC industry. UVGI uses short-wavelength ultraviolet light to kill microorganisms. For building owners, this technology can be a boon as purified and healthy air is the topmost demand of this current situation. 3 steps can help the building owner to maintain healthy indoor quality: –
- Covering/sealing everything
To minimize the particulate matter that enters inside your HVAC system air ducts should be sealed this will help in minimizing bacterial growth.
- Media filter
They have more surface area than standard 1” filters. They keep the coil clean by capturing a greater number of contaminants.
- Installing UV lamp
Germicidal UV light helps in killing microorganism thus prevent cross-contamination by the HVAC system.
Few signs will help the building owner to know that they should install UVGI technology in their building’s HVAC system: –
- Allergies and illnesses
Buildings always have some kind of unexplained illnesses due to poor indoor air quality. If you are having a headache, itchy watery eyes then the reason could be the airborne allergens that are present inside the building.
- Leakage in ductwork
Leakage in the ducts gives passage to dust and debris to accumulate on your HVAC’s wet indoor coil thus creating a perfect environment for bacterial growth.
- Sub-par air filtration
Normal air filters not able to capture enough particulate matter and poorly installed housings.
As the concern of reducing airborne pathogens is growing, building owners and managers can address these concerns by installing UVGI technology. Buildings are the source of respiratory infections due to large numbers of occupants and visitors, here is the list of benefits building owner will have by installing UVGI: –
- It will help in eliminating up to 99% of viruses and kills up to 90% of airborne bacteria that circulate inside the building through the HVAC system.
- Increasing productivity by reducing the waste in work hours due to illness.
- It will increase the thermal efficiency of cooling coils.
- It will increase the life of HEPA.
- It will help in eliminating illness caused due to cross-contamination.
- It can target specific bacteria according to the requirement.
- Helps in eliminating odors that can be annoying and dangerous for health.
- Local UV lamps to target a specific area that is more prone to bacterial growth and contamination.
- Improving air quality by killing contaminants that make you ill.
- Disease prevention as it will eliminate build-up on cooling coil, drainpipes, and ductwork and prevent cross-contamination.
- Silent in operation.
- Fast-acting and works 24*7 throughout 365 days of the year.
- Cost-effective as it will help the HVAC system to clean itself thus increasing its efficiency and life while lowering the operational cost.
- Helps in removing existing microbial growth and preventing additional growth.
There are n-number of health and environmental benefits of UVGI technology for the building owners. MG cooling solution will guide you in the proper installation by our qualified HVAC technician that will examine your space and keep a multitude of condition in mind so that you will get the maximum benefit of UVGI Technology.
MG Cooling Solutions which is well known as HVAC services provider is now standing as one of the renowned name for industrial air cooling solutions. We are tied up with leading air washer manufacturers in India and providing complete support to our clients.