Businesses and communities across the country begin to reopen, people are evaluating whether and how they should head into work and, perhaps, visit malls and schools. Adopting new technology is obvious as this global pandemic has changed the way of living. It is evident that COVID-19 viruses present as microscopic droplets in the air and infect the person breathing in that air. Various guidelines and research papers related to systems that can help in reducing the spread of coronavirus have been released, and the HVAC system is one of them. ASHRAE strongly recommends the use of UVGI or Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation, which is effective against viruses, bacteria, and mold spores. Shopping malls, hospitals, commercial spaces, IT parks, and schools are exposed to a similar unhealthy environment thus UVGI technology got a tremendous application in these areas
WHAT IS UVGI TECHNOLOGY?
UVGI stands for ultraviolet germicidal irradiation, it is electromagnetic radiation that is used to kill microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, mold, and fungi. It is a non-chemical technology with no remaining by-products. UVGI uses short-wavelength ultraviolet light (UV-C) that causes structural changes in the DNA and RNA of microorganism because of which they are not able to replicate and get killed. UV-C light is weak at the earth’s surface as it is blocked by the ozone layer of the atmosphere. UVGI devices can produce strong UV-C light in circulating air to make it uninviting environments to bacteria, viruses, and pathogens.
UVGI can be installed in a filtration system to sanitize air and water. UVGI has been used in the medical industry for sanitation and sterilization but in the mid-20th century, UVGI has found renewed application in air purification with rapidly increasing industry acceptance in HVAC applications. Viruses, bacteria, and fungus, etc. can grow rapidly inside the damp and dark HVAC systems and get distributed all over the buildings through the air-conditioning systems, thus making your Indoor Environment infectious, unhealthy, and unsafe to breathe, this problem can be eliminated by using UVGI technology
HOW UVGI OPERATE
UV light is electromagnetic radiation with shorter wavelengths than visible light but longer than X-rays. UV is categorized into several wavelength ranges, with shorter wavelength UV (UV-C) considered “germicidal UV”. Wavelengths between about 200nm and 300nm are strongly absorbed by nucleic acids. The absorbed energy can prevent replication or can prevent the expression of necessary proteins that results in the death of the microorganism
- Mercury-based lamps operating at low vapor pressure emit UV light at the 253.7 nm line.
- UV light-emitting diode (UV-C LED) lamps emit UV light at selectable wavelengths between 255 and 280 nm.
- Pulsed-xenon lamps emit UV light across the entire UV spectrum with a peak emission near 230 nm.
This process is similar to but stronger than, the effect of longer wavelength (UV-B) producing sunburn in humans. Microorganisms have low protection against UV and cannot withstand prolonged exposure to it. The UGVI effectiveness depends on the time length a microorganism is exposed to UV, the wavelength and intensity of UV radiation, the presence of particles that can protect the microorganism from UV, and its ability to withstand UV exposure.
Airborne transmission of diseases through the HVAC system is much more prevalent nowadays than previously encountered. This is increasing the acceptance of UVGI technology as installation of germicidal UV light for HVAC will curb the spread of the Coronavirus. MG Cooling Solution is constantly working to make the “new normal” the better one we can help you with UVGI technology according to your space and easy installation in your HVAC systems. Various benefits of installing UVGI in your HVAC;
- Highly recommended for eliminating microbes and improving indoor air quality by many credible organizations in the pharmaceutical industry, educational institutes, and shopping complexes
- Helps in eliminating sick building syndrome and will increase productivity by helping reduce absenteeism due to illness
- Increases the life of HEPA
- Helps in removing cross-contamination
- Helps in improving indoor air quality and eliminate up to 99.9% of viruses and kill up to 90% of certain airborne bacteria passing through the air system
- Can target specific bacteria as per requirement
- Air disinfection with UVGI helps in maintaining system efficiency and airflow which ultimately saves money and time
MG Cooling Solutions which is well known as HVAC services provider is now standing as one of the renowned name for industrial air cooling solutions. We are tied up with leading air washer manufacturers in India and providing complete support to our clients.